Manager, Inspection and Field Services
Job No: 534879
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Categories: MPP, At-Will, Custodial/Facilities, Full Time
Type of Appointment: Full-time, Management Personnel Plan (MPP II)
Anticipated Salary Range: $90,000 to $116,640 annually (Commensurate with qualifications and experience)
Benefits Include: (15) Paid Holidays, (24) Vacation Days, CSU Benefits Summary
Recruitment Closing Date: Open Until Filled
First Application Deadline: January 23, 2024
Other: First consideration will be given to internal candidates.
Facilities Planning and Management (FP&M) leads the campus efforts in planning, development, and maintenance of the campus' natural and built environments in support of the University's mission. The department seeks to preserve and enhance CPP's history, aesthetics, physical assets, and natural ecosystems through coordinated planning, design, and construction of buildings, transportation systems, infrastructure, landscaping and other physical improvements. FP&M includes the Environment Health & Safety functions as well. As an advocate on behalf of the University and its auxiliaries, FP&M strives to provide facilities that meet scope, budget, operational needs, functional and legal requirements. FP&M is comprised of approximately 130 facilities professionals that also provides Facilities Operations and maintenance services including custodial services, landscaping, recycling, building and mechanical trades, energy and utility management, fleet and auto services.
The workforce is culturally diverse and multilingual. Its composition includes full time staff throughout FP&M who are also earning their degrees, many whom have graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. The staff includes licensed architects and engineers, project managers, planners, accountants, administrative staff, carpenters, plumbers, locksmiths, painters, electricians, landscape architects, computer technicians, custodians and other building and mechanical trade technicians.
By delegation from the Chancellor's Office (CO), Facilities Planning & Management (FP&M) is responsible for the coordinated development of the University's facilities from inception of design through construction and post construction building occupancy and ensuring these public works construction projects adhere to all applicable codes for the University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Manager of Inspection and Field Services implements and oversees the Facilities Planning & Management inspection and field services unit and collaborates with the overall Facilities Planning & Management Team.
- The incumbent performs and oversees inspections and coordination of construction projects.
- The incumbent manages and provides technical oversight of inspections and work performed by other field staff and outside / 3rd party inspectors hired for specialty and major capital projects.
- The incumbent performs complex and specialized inspections of utility infrastructure, new construction, and alterations to various types of facilities, to ensure compliance with all applicable life safety, accessibility, structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical building codes (i.e., CBC, NFPA, etc.), ordinances, and regulations consistent with the contract documents.
- The incumbent develops, initiates and enforces testing and inspection policies and procedures consistent with building codes and CSU policies, coordinates project closeout procedures, including all major and minor capital projects as well as work performed by FP&M trades or other campus departments as required.
- The incumbent trains and provides oversight to new employees relating to construction and inspections. Ensures all project inspectors are adequately trained to perform duties as applicable for major capital outlay projects and recommends when outside/ 3rd party project inspectors are required for major specialty projects.
- The incumbent prepares daily inspection reports, completes daily inspection reports; maintains a daily field observation diary and ensures other inspectors do the same; maintains digital image history of the work performed relating to construction and tracks changes to the approved documents including all field instructions.
- The incumbent resolves field inspection problems and complaints relating to enforcement matters and prepares correction notices for identified violations.
- The incumbent coordinates utility outages between the University's representative, the General Contractor and the affected user groups on campus.
- This position manages 3rd party consultants that provide special inspections requiring special testing and observations that requires technical expertise.
- Reviews plans and specifications of all assigned capital projects to ensure compliance with building codes and contract documents. Reviews and clarifies Codes and regulations to consultants, contractors, other building inspectors, campus personnel, and stakeholders, as necessary.
- Maintains project files and records including permits issued, status of submittals, inspections, correspondence, field reports, non-compliance notices, and other relevant documentation as required.
- Coordinates required plan reviews with Project Managers, Project Coordinators and State Fire Marshal.
- Maintains a separate and accurate set of "As Built" inspection drawings for each assigned project and records all deviations from the contract drawings and date each inspection. Reviews contractor payment applications and changes orders and provides recommendations to Project Managers and Director of Design and Construction for approval.
- Tracks and records time spent on project related activities for all field services staff for recharge billing purposes.
- OSHPD Class A inspection license or; DSA Class 1 inspection license or; ICC Combination inspection license
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university or equivalent experience relevant to this position
- A valid California driver's license and insurance
- Five (5) years of experience leading/supervising a team in a commercial or institutional environment
- Ten (10) years of public works building code administration, plan check and inspection.
- Comprehensive knowledge of California Building and Safety codes, State and Federal codes and local ordinances, as well as construction, engineering methods, and contract management.
- Working knowledge of -
- California Building Code, Accessibility requirements, Public Works Contract Code.
- Required Special Inspections and testing
- Managing Service Agreements for consultants
- Permit administration, procedures and processing
- Project and Construction Management software such as Bluebeam, Procore, Primavera, or equivalent
- Construction Administration documentation including but not limited to field reports, responses to RFI's, submittals, change orders, pay applications, releases and notice of completion and knowledge of the impacts of each of these documents to the project and contracts.
- Ten (10) years' experience in CSU (as an employee or contract consultant to CSU)
- Building permit administration, plan check reviews and inspections including those required for post occupancy corrections.
- Thorough knowledge of construction engineering methods, practices and procedures, and five (5) years of contract management.
Cal Poly Pomona (CPP) is the #1 university for diversity and economic mobility. Our commitment to mentorship and a culture of care supports students from all backgrounds as they learn in applied hands-on situations, solve real-world problems, and forge their own unique paths to success.
And while you're helping them achieve their dreams, we're here to help you achieve yours.
With benefits ranging from CalPERS retirement to a tuition fee waiver program, we have what you need to develop professionally and retire comfortably. Enjoy the beauty of our campus and be a part of a mission-driven community of educators, innovators and leaders.
To learn more about the university, please visit www.cpp.edu, and for more about life at Cal Poly Pomona, please see YourLife@CPP.
Out of State Work
The California State University (CSU) system is a network of twenty-three public universities providing access to a quality education through the support of California taxpayers. Part of CSU's mission is to prepare educated, responsible individuals to contribute to California's schools, economy, culture, and future. As an agency of the State of California, the CSU's business operations almost exclusively reside within California. The CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside California. For more information, go to https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/10899725/latest/.
Cal Poly Pomona will make a conditional offer of employment to final job candidates, pending the satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check). The conditional offer of employment may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. In determining the suitability of the candidate for the position, Cal Poly Pomona will give an individualized assessment to any information that the applicant submits for consideration regarding the criminal conviction history such as the nature, gravity and recency of the conviction, the candidate's conduct, performance or rehabilitation efforts since the conviction and the nature of the job applied for. For more information, go to https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/13813878/latest/.
Employment Eligibility Verification
Cal Poly Pomona hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. For more information, go to https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents.
Conflict of Interest
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file financial interest disclosure forms subject to state regulations. For more information, go to https://www.cpp.edu/eoda-hr/departments/hrpar/coi.shtml.
Outside Employment Disclosure
Executive and Management Plan Personnel employees must disclose all current outside employment at the time of hire as a precondition of hire and at the following times after hire: annually in July, within 30 days of accepting outside employment, and upon their manager's request. For more information, go to https://www.cpp.edu/eoda-hr/departments/hrpar/outside-employment-disclosure.shtml.
Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA)
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/v2/policy/10927154/latest/.
Security & Fire Safety
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Cal Poly Pomona's Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report are available for viewing at: https://www.cpp.edu/pdfs/annual_security_report.pdf and https://www.cpp.edu/housing/documents/fire_safety_report.pdf.
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
As a federal contractor, Cal Poly Pomona will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. For more information, see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision poster.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact the ADA Coordinator by email at ADACoordinator@cpp.edu. For more information, go to Employment Notices.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Cal Poly Pomona is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workforce. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations that prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and veteran or military status. We engage the talents of all qualified workers, regardless of their background. More information is available at Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
For other important employment notices, we invite you to visit Cal Poly Pomona's Employment Notices web page.
Advertised: January 09, 2024 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/po/en-us/job/534879/manager-inspection-and-field-services
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency